Category Archives: Grawmet I

Grawmet I is the first 3D printer kit produced by Washington Open Object Fabricators (WOOF).

One Printer “Done,” another Started

The quarter is coming to an end, so I gave Quinn’s printer back to it’s owner. I managed to get a good amount of work done on it (Fig. 1), but there is still a lot for Quinn to do.

IMG_1485

Figure 1. Quinn’s Grawmet, as far as I got it.

I am super excited that I now have my very own Grawmet II printer! I started work on last week. Not only is it going to be an awesome printer, but also all the plastic parts are glow-in-the-dark. 😉

IMG_1493

Figure 2. Starting on my Grawmet II!

Update on Quinn’s Printer, and Boat Design

Last week I got a lot more work done on Quinn’s printer. The X and Y axises are now up and stable, and the extruder is partly done (Fig. 2).

IMG_1452

Figure 1. Where I started from on Quinn’s Grawmet.

IMG_1455

Figure 2. Quinn’s Grawmet after a day’s work.

Yesterday I also made some headway on a seat design for the WOOF boat. The actual body of the boat was designed by another WOOF member, Dana (Fig. 4). I’ve been collaborating with him on both the seat design (Fig. 5) as well as some of the overall design. He has taken both physics and statics (which I have not as of yet) and so was able to give me a lot of helpful technical feedback.

Screen Shot 2013-05-21 at 9.48.47 AM

Figure 4. Boat Design by Dana H.

Screen Shot 2013-05-21 at 9.55.27 AM

Figure 5. Seat design in progress (only half shown) by me.

Quinn’s Printer

Yesterday I managed to get a good amount of work done on Quinn’s Grawmet 3D Printer.

Quinn’s printer is a first edition Grawmet being built by a girl named (you guessed it) Quinn. She got tiered of working on it, and so I volunteered to finish it. I don’t have my own second edition Grawmet yet, and finishing Quinn’s printer will be good practice.

When I got it, the base and the z axis parts had been assembled. However, the base was pretty wobbly. I got Matt to look at it for a second opinion, and ended up pretty much taking the whole thing appart and re-drilling holes in the base (see figure 1). Now that the base is more steady, I’ll be working on reassembling the printer to where it was previously.

 

IMG_1441

 

Figure 1. The base of Quinn’s printer, upside down, with new holes drilled.