I did some more measurements on the movement of the X, Y, and X axes on my 3D printer, and added those calibrations into the firmware. Then I tried printing some small cubes with different layer height and flow rate combinations. The cubes, shown below, are actually a square shape this time, evidence of correctly calibrated axes. 🙂
Small cubes, printed with different layer heights and flow rates.
Well folks, today was a great day for my Grawmet II.
It made it’s first print!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I’m super excited. Granted, the axes weren’t really calibrated, but my print turned out ok nonetheless.
My printer at work.
For those who have been following my blog, Ganter was kind enough to give me yet another Brainwave board after the other two boards I had didn’t work. This third one works beautifully.
(On my first one the USB port broke off. I got a new board but that one was malfunctioning from out of the box. The USB port of my first one got fixed, and then I fried it.)
There were times I doubted that I would reach this point. I had so many board problems, and I had to learn so much, but I guess persistence pays off. Thank you God!
Well, I got as far as printing blobs again. My extruded was having troubles however. The motor would not get the plastic to go down the extruded – I think it may have been jammed. Anyway, I tried to give the motor more power buy adjusting the potentiometer on my board, turned it up too high, and I think I fried the extruder part of the board. There was smoke… I am not pleased. Sorensen just helped me fix it too.
Figure 1. Repeated commands in Pronterface yield nothing.
Lately I’ve been helping one of my 3D printing buddies, Mark, work on documentation for a 3D printer he designed. This has involved a lot of taking pictures and formatting text, as well as actually assembling the printer.
Figure 1. Screenshot of what I have been doing.
Also, my other 3D printing friend, Sorensen, soldered and epoxied a mini-USB (not micro) port onto my Brainwave board, tested it, and it works!
The problem: the micro-USB port broke off my first Brainwave board. Then I was given another Brainwave board, but that one the potentiometer for the Y-axis is dysfunctional (it perpetually overheats…).
For the past three weeks now I’ve been trying to debug these problems. I’ve adjusted the potentiometer, I’ve re-soldered the surface mount 0ohm resister for that potentiometer, and on the other board I have painstakingly tried to reattach the micro-USB port with solder and superglue.
Figure 1. Where the USB port is supposed to be….
Figure 2. Brainwave sans USB port
Trying to solder the tiny contacts for the USB port is pretty much a lost cause.
Anyway, I talked to my 3D printing compatriot, Sorensen, who gave me some ideas for next steps. I may try getting a new potentiometer that will fit on the board, and switch it out for the dysfunctional one. I could also just find a multimeter, and use that for adjusting the potentiometer. It may be that it’s really finicky in terms of adjustment.
But for now I will eat snacks and work on documentation for this other 3D printer kit.
Yesterday was a pretty exciting day… I don’t know how I managed to do it, but I turned Terri’s site into a white screen of death.
Figure 1. The White Screen of Death.
I backed up the contents of the server, re-installed WordPress, changed permissions, changed some files, and finally after re-uploading the contents that I have previously backed up it magically started working again.
Later I tried to upload firmware to my Brainwave board (it’s the little computer board on my Grawmet II 3D printer) and I could not get past one very cryptic error.
This is quite the life.
A couple weeks ago I was taking my Grawmet home from UW on the bus, and the USB chord was still plugged into the Brainwave Board. (This is the the computer controller for my 3D printer.) I accidentally bumped the cord, which acted as a lever and popped the micro USB port right off the board. I was most displeased about this, since it was going to be ether extremely expensive for me to replace (by poor college student standards) or extremely difficult to fix.
I took it into the WOOF room (the UW 3D printing club’s meeting space) yesterday to consult with other members about ways to fix it. As it turned out, I never actually had to fix it because professor Ganter (he’s one of our club advisers) gave me a whole new board! I spent the afternoon soldering it together.
Figure 1. New, un-soldered Brainwave board.
I did surface soldering for the first time, which was pretty fun. I put on some tiny 0Ω resisters that configure the stepping speed of the motors.
Figure 2. The finished, soldered board.
General take-aways: never leave the USB cord plugged in, and I am pretty decent at soldering.