My Capstone Project

This is a project that I have been working on for school. Basically even though I haven’t written about it I did reading, research, lots of ideation, designing, redesigning, and several late Monday nights with my team to produce the following video. Enjoy:

I haven’t made any posts about this project because it has it’s very own blog!

Check it out: Project STEM Play


It’s working!!!

Well folks, today was a great day for my Grawmet II.

It made it’s first print!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I’m super excited. Granted, the axes weren’t really calibrated, but my print turned out ok nonetheless.

My printer at work.

My printer at work.

The print.

The print.

For those who have been following my blog, Ganter was kind enough to give me yet another Brainwave board after the other two boards I had didn’t work. This third one works beautifully.

(On my first one the USB port broke off. I got a new board but that one was malfunctioning from out of the box. The USB port of my first one got fixed, and then I fried it.)

There were times I doubted that I would reach this point. I had so many board problems, and I had to learn so much, but I guess persistence pays off. Thank you God!

Positive Psychology and Encourageing Thanfulness for Others

This quarter I’m in a positive psychology research group led by Sean Munson. The past few weeks we have been ideating and designing new ways to promote health and wellness though positive psychology and social technologies.

After an initial brainstorming session I presented three design ideas to the group. I then took my favorite and then further developed my favorite into a prototype.

It’s an app which for now I am calling “Thankfulness Letters”.
Project goal: Encourage people to express thankfulness and/or care to and for their friends.

Here is my initial storyboard


ThankfullnessLettersStoryboard_2 Note: after discussion with my group, I switched from paper letters to emails to avoid potential user awkwardness and the “creepy stalker” factor. I realized that it is pretty common to have email addresses, but far less common to have email addresses.






A study  on positive psychology methods by Martin Seligman and Tracy Steen (University of Pennsylvania), Nansook Park (University of Rhode Island), and Christopher Peterson (University of Michigan) showed that expressing thankfulness to others is one method that is potentially very effective at promoting happiness in the person expressing thankfulness.

Why did I choose to design an app? Yes, there is an app for everything… I chose an app however because I wanted to easily integrate my design into people’s normal lives, and my target user group (most people in the US) generally have smartphones.
How the project goals are met in the app:

  • Randomly generates a friend once per the set period of time (one week default)
  • Gives a example/prompt to send to the person – helps with writer’s block, and makes the writing process less awkward.
  • Connects to email
  • Reminders are ephemeral – a backlog would probably discourage people (feel bad for not talking to x person), or be overwelming if it gets too large. Also gives a sense of urgency.

Feature Interaction Requirements:

  • Need to be able to change default time increments
  • Visual design needs to be accessible to visually impaired

Visual Design Look/Feel:

  • Happy
  • Peaceful
  • Caring

I also made an Axure Prototype.

IA and OmniGraffle

I downloaded the trial version of OmniGraffle to try it out, and so far I’ve liked using it. It’s work very well for what I have been doing, which is this:

Screen Shot 2014-04-24 at 2.18.12 PM

Figure 1. Proposed navigation for the new version of the ECHO Updater App.

I’ve been doing some Information Architecture lately, both for my classes at UW, and for my ECHO Updater project. I’ve been working off and on when I have the time to create a new version of the Updater App. Right now I am planning everything out and creating my specs.

Another Printer Update

Well, I got as far as printing blobs again. My extruded was having troubles however. The motor would not get the plastic to go down the extruded – I think it may have been jammed. Anyway, I tried to give the motor more power buy adjusting the potentiometer on my board, turned it up too high, and I think I fried the extruder part of the board. There was smoke… I am not pleased. Sorensen just helped me fix it too.

Figure 1. Repeated commands in Pronterface yield nothing.

Figure 1. Repeated commands in Pronterface yield nothing.

3D Printer Documentation

Lately I’ve been helping one of my 3D printing buddies, Mark, work on documentation for a 3D printer he designed. This has involved a lot of taking pictures and formatting text, as well as actually assembling the printer.

Figure 1. Screenshot of what I have been doing.

Figure 1. Screenshot of what I have been doing.

Also, my other 3D printing friend, Sorensen, soldered and epoxied a mini-USB (not micro) port onto my Brainwave board, tested it, and it works!